Monday, May 09, 2005

Crowdifornia...

Driving home from work this evening, I couldnt help take notice of a sticker on the back of a car stopped in front of me at a red signal. The sticker read:



I don't know if it was the fact that I've always held a strong belief that California, is the most beautiful state of "sunshine throughout the year", and the "L" in the Land of opportunities, if you will (and if you consider the US that, even now that is ;-) ).... or it was the simple reason that I cant get my mind off a catchy phrase or some creative writing when I see one, but I just had to type the words into google, while I caught up with my nightly surfing for the day.

So, it is interesting to note that California does have a serious population explosion problem. So much so, that this website reports the following statistics:

Quick Fact
California's population increased by 539,000 last year to total over 36.8 million. California's growth rate is higher than that of India.
(Sources: California Department of Finance, United Nations Population Division)

Some stuff to ponder about I guess.... so ponder away to glory :P

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe its got something to do with so many Indians moving there :p .. they bring the population explosion with them

Anonymous said...

Wow!.. Man you really do know how to make a point!...

I can't believe people can even say things like "they bring *the* population explosion with them"!

Geez!
ps: In case you're wonderin', no I don't live in California!

Anonymous said...

Like it or not, sadly it's the truth. "statistical fact."
All European countries and Japan are the only nations to stabilize their population growth. America would be on the same boat if "latin-americans" didn't boost the average. Here in the US, all demographic groups excluding hispanics average 2 children or less per couple. Many of the people averaging 3+ kids are here illegaly from central and south America.
If laws aren't enforced and a physical barrier can't be built, then the US and eventually Canada will become balkanized. They will be nations without sovereignty or identity. I don't think that's what most people want. I enjoy the differences between governments and people of other countries. That is what makes the world an interesting place. If we were are the same, I would be personally involved in finding a new planet to enhabit.